The 2015 Acura MDX MPG Ratings Reflect New Technology and Forward-Thinking
- The new 2015 Acura MDX’s MPG ratings exemplify Acura’s commitment to efficiency without compromising muscle. There are two different powertrain options on the MDX for 2015, with each offering outstanding fuel economy numbers: Standard front-wheel drive with a 6-speed automatic transmission nets drivers an impressive 20 mpg city/28 mpg highway/23 mpg combined.
- Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) offers enhanced control while maintaining an EPA-estimated 18 mpg city/27 mpg highway/21 mpg combined.
These MPG ratings are largely due to the innovative technology that Acura has harnessed for its new 2015 MDX models, chief among them the innovative Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system.
What is Super Handling All-Wheel Drive?
Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) offers 2015 MDX drivers enhanced traction and cornering capabilities, even over traditional AWD systems. It works by dynamically distributing engine power between the front and rear wheels based on where the vehicle’s weight is shifted at the present moment. This allows for more power to be sent to the front wheels during normal driving conditions—optimizing fuel efficiency—and then reallocated strongly to the rear wheels when additional traction and control are needed.
Innovative Technology for Maximum Efficiency
Below are some of the other new features that help to enhance the new MDX’s MPG ratings:
- Acura’s very own Intelligent Variable Timing and Lift Control (i-VTEC®), which paves the way for added horsepower by matching valve timing to engine RPM.
- Variable Cylinder Management (VCM®) increases fuel efficiency by allowing the engine to use either six or three cylinders, depending on driving conditions.
- Direct Gas Injection, which marks a shift in recent gas injection technology by injecting gas directly into each cylinder, resulting in quicker and more efficient air-fuel mixture and less gas spent to start the engine.The new Drive-by-Wire™ throttle system, which allows for more exact throttle response and feel to match different driving conditions by varying throttle sensitivity.
On top of these engine features, Acura has shed 275 pounds off the newest MDX models without sacrificing the luxurious interior space, and they’ve switched to equipping the models with 18 and 19-inch tires, which decrease rolling resistance by 20%.
Experience the New MDX for Yourself at Rizza Acura
Overall, what you need to know is that these features have been applied to the new 2015 Acura MDX in order to meet the needs of consumers and keep up with the modern technology at our disposal.
But there’s no better way to understand how they’ll actually enhance your driving experience than by coming out for a test drive!
To schedule a test drive, for more information on the new 2015 Acura MDX’s MPG ratings, or just to learn more about all that the MDX has to offer, contact us or stop by our location in Orland Park.